Canon Malaysia announced the launch of the second generation revered EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens, which professionals and advanced amateurs have come to love for its power and mobility. What’s new with the second generation update from the previous version?
1. Adding of one fluorite lens in conjunction with a super UD (Ultra Low Dispersion) lens, chromatic aberration is reduced, which results in outstanding image quality across its entire range of focal distances.
2. Designed for daylight and outdoor situations, the EF100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II USM combats backlight flaring and ghosting. Canon utilises its new ASC (Air Sphere Coating) technology to create a special film that includes air spheres filled with low refractive index air, thus effectively forming a layer with excellent anti-reflective effects and clear rendering.
3. The lens’ new IS unit provides a performance improvement from 1.5 steps to 4 steps and three different modes for optimal stabilisation, to deliver sharp and clear images in a variety of situations.
4. Designed with a 9-blade aperture type EMD (electromagnetic diaphragm), it can achieve natural and beautiful bokeh effect which blurs light sources in the background, producing an aesthetically appealing circular appearance.
5. Allows focus on subjects as close as 0.98m. The maximum magnification ability of the new lens has been improved substantially to 0.31x – the best in its class. This effectively reduces the minimum focusing distance by almost half, making it possible to shoot very fine details or close-up photos of small subjects.
6. Dust and water-resistant properties improved, to prevent dirt and water from entering the lens. The robust EF100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II USM also features a fluorine coating on the front and rear lens elements, making it resistant to smudges
Available end of Dec 2014. Price to be announced.