Petaling Jaya (September 13, 2013) – Kaspersky Lab announces the global availability of Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device, a new security product that provides premium protection for the world’s most commonly-used devices. As tablet and smartphone sales continue to skyrocket around the world, these mobile devices access the same Internet as traditional computers, and therefore require advanced protection from online threats. Now, instead of purchasing several products to protect a portfolio of smart devices, Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device gives users a way to secure their Internet activity across multiple computers and mobile devices, all through a single purchase.
Overview of New Technologies
Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device
includes Kaspersky Lab’s award-winning protection for PCs, Macs and Android smartphones and tablets. Users can install the device-specific technologies on any combination of devices – customers are encouraged visit the Kaspersky Lab online store for licensing information specific to their region.
Coming soon: At the launch of Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device, the company will begin a phased global rollout of the Kaspersky Protection Center, an entirely new Web portal to easily view and maintain the security of all protected devices, no matter where they are. The Kaspersky Protection Center can be used to activate a variety of anti-theft technologies to recover lost or stolen mobile devices. It will also include free security tools, such as Kaspersky Password Manager to synchronize user login information across all devices, and Kaspersky Social Protect for advanced protection from malware on Facebook. Additional consumer security tools will also be added to the Kaspersky Protection Center in the future.
It’s the Same Internet – The Case for Multi-Device Protection
According to B2B International’s B2C Global Brand Tracker Survey in April 2013, the average household has 4.5 Internet-connected devices, meaning the days of a family accessing the Internet through one or two shared desktop and laptop computers have disappeared. As consumers purchase more devices, the greater the chore becomes in keeping these devices maintained and updated. Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device uses a single activation code for each user product, a single start-date, and a central management console with the Kaspersky Protection Center, making a multi-device digital life easier to handle.
Smartphones and tablets have become the new standard tool for browsing, interacting, and shopping online, but despite their popularity, many users don’t think these devices require full-fledged protection equal to the security installed on traditional computers. But while the devices used to access the Internet has become smaller, these devices are being used to access the same Internet as the traditional computers, and are therefore targets for online cyberthreats.
This new reality of mobile devices being targeted shouldn’t come as a surprise, since cybercriminals are predictable in one way: they will always adjust their tactics and targets when they spot new opportunities to steal money. In recent years, a flood of Android tablets and smartphones that access the Internet without proper security have given these thieves a new type of vulnerable and potentially lucrative targets.
Android Tablet and Smartphone Protection
Mobile devices have become the primary browsing tool for millions of people around the world and the Android operating system is by far the platform most targeted by cybercriminals. This should come as no surprise, since Android smartphones account for 68 percent of the global smartphone market. In fact, approximately 99 percent of all mobile malware detected by Kaspersky Lab is designed for Android devices, and the number of new mobile malware detected in 2012 – more than 35,000 unique pieces – was six times larger than what was detected in 2011. This pace of malware production is actually increasing, as Kaspersky Lab has detected more than 48,000 unique pieces of Android malware in the first half of 2013. This huge increase shows a clear need for premium protection while using any mobile device online. Kaspersky Lab’s latest products, built by security experts who are capable of staying ahead of this flood of malware, are up to the challenge.
Key Android Security Features
- Real-time protection against mobile malware, including automatic scanning of downloaded programs to prevent the installation of rogue applications masquerading as legitimate ones;
- Web browsing protection to ensure users don’t click on malicious websites or phishing links designed to steal personal information;
- Integration with the Kaspersky Security Network, a global network of real-time threat information that allows Kaspersky Lab to protect users from emerging threats within minutes;
- Anti-theft features, managed through the Kaspersky Protection Center, which allow users to locate missing devices using GPS and cellular signals. Users can also remotely lock devices and wipe data, and activate the device’s camera to automatically take pictures of whoever currently possesses it;
Call and text-message filtering to block spam and unwanted phone calls.
As the global market share of Mac computers grows, cybercriminals have begun targeting this platform, as well. In addition to the small but growing malware concern, both Mac and PC users are equally susceptible to phishing scams using forged websites designed to steal personal information. With Kaspersky Lab’s protection, Mac users are assured of the highest degree of online security, without slowing down the performance of their computer.
Key Mac Security Features
- Full protection from all malware threats, including Mac-specific malware, and all PC-targeting malware that can be stored on Macs and inadvertently transferred to PCs;
- Real-time data from the Kaspersky Security Network, ensuring users are protected from fast-changing phishing websites;
- Advanced Parental Control to ensure children use the Internet safely and responsibly;
On-screen Virtual Keyboard, providing an extra layer of protection from keylogging malware when entering personal information online.
Windows PC Protection
Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device includes the full protection found in Kaspersky Internet Security 2014. Armed with the award-winning core technologies of Kaspersky Lab’s most widely-used solution, PC users can browse, bank, and shop online with the most advanced protection from money-stealing malware and other cybercrime.
Key PC Security Features
- Improved Safe Money proactive protection against financial-theft while shopping, banking, and performing financial transactions online;
- New Anti-Blocker technology to defeat malware that locks your computer and demands ransom to return control of your data;
- New Trusted Applications Mode, which automatically blocks any programs that aren’t already identified as trusted, protecting less-savvy users from being tricked into installing malware;
- ZETA Shield technology, used for the first time in Kaspersky Lab’s consumer products, to provide in-depth scans for hidden malicious code;
- Improved Automatic Exploit Prevention technology protects users from malware that exploits undiscovered gaps in commonly-used programs, including Java, and uses these vulnerabilities to infect PCs;
- Improved Parental Control to block objectionable content, limit the amount of time spent online, monitor what their children are doing, and automatically prevent children from sharing private information– credit card numbers, phone numbers, home addresses – on social networks.
Coming Soon – Kaspersky Protection Center
The next phase of Kaspersky Lab’s improved user experience has begun, and is now available in select countries. The Kaspersky Protection Center will enable users to easily view the status of their PCs, Macs, and mobile devices through an intuitive, centrally managed interface, accessible from any computer using a Web browser. Remote management of traditional computers will also be available soon.
From the Kaspersky Protection Center, users can:
- View the real-time security status of protected devices, ensuring all devices are up to date and protected;
- Activate the anti-theft tools on mobile devices;
- Use the new centrally-synchronized Kaspersky Password Manager to access online accounts and applications easily and securely, without having to remember multiple complex passwords;
- Add additional protection to Facebook accounts with a free app that scans incoming links and alerts you to any suspicious content on your account;
- Easily access Kaspersky Lab’s free technical support resources, including assistance via email, live-chat and phone support, along with access to an online database that addresses most common problems;
Manage and renew Kaspersky Lab product licenses.
Customers are encouraged to check their local Kaspersky Lab websites for more information about the planned availability of the Kaspersky Protection Center in their region.