Shopee to continue business as usual in Malaysia
Regional Managing Director of Shopee
Prime Minister YAB Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin last night announced the Movement Control Order from 18th to 31st March 2020 to mitigate the COVID-19 outbreak in the country. We have received many queries from Malaysians from as far as Sabah and Sarawak on whether they are still able to get their items during this period.
Shopee is committed to the safety and well-being of Malaysians during this period. After extensive discussions and with the guidance of officials from the National Security Council (Malaysia) and the Prime Minister’s Office, we would like to provide the following clarifications:
- Shopee will continue business as usual as e-commerce falls under retail, which was categorised as one of the essential services.
- All products including daily necessities such as toilet rolls, wet wipes, face masks, hand sanitizers, instant noodles, cooking oil, canned food, coffee, rice as well as fresh produce such as fish, chicken, beef, vegetables and more will still be available for purchase on Shopee.
- At the same time, we are working closely with our partners, retailers, suppliers such as MYDIN, TESCO, NESTLE, AEON BIG, VINDA, FRESHTAP.MY and more, to ensure that there is sufficient supply to cater to Malaysians’ needs.
- On Shopee Mart, we hold stocks for close to 10,000 types of products. We will also be taking an additional measure for Shopee Mart by limiting the number of key and essential items that can be purchased by each user to ensure that all Malaysians, regardless of economic standing have fair access to their daily essentials. Additionally, Shopee will continue to provide next-day delivery in Klang Valley and Southern Malaysia for orders made on Shopee Mart by 10am daily excluding Sundays and Public Holidays.
- Shopee is working closely with our sellers and logistics partners so that precautionary measures such as disinfection of warehouse and vehicles, parcel sanitisation, and temperature checks are done for workers, drivers, and riders in the interest of safety.
- We will also continue to provide free shipping nationwide to ease delivery costs during this period. However, for orders that are placed with office delivery addresses, our logistics providers will deliver your orders after 1 April 2020.
This is Shopee’s bid to support the Government’s Movement Control Order and to play a bigger role in reducing the spread of COVID-19. At this juncture, we urge Malaysians to stay calm and we pledge to provide our best service in this time of need.
We would also like to express our gratitude to the National Security Council (Malaysia) and the Prime Minister’s Office for their time and guidance on how we can jointly solve this issue and provide the necessary support. We hope that together with all Malaysians, we will be able to overcome this challenge