Fujifilm releases FUJIFILM X-Pro3 to capture the essence of pure photography with minimal distractions
FUJIFILM Malaysia is pleased to announce the launch of the FUJIFILM X-Pro3 (hereinafter “X-Pro3”) in late November, 2019, as the latest flagship model for the X Series range of mirrorless digital cameras.
The X Series’ first interchangeable lens camera, “FUJIFILM X-Pro1,” was released in February 2012 and its successor, “FUJIFILM X-Pro2,” in March 2016 with vastly improved image quality and performance. The X-Pro Series has been embraced by many professional and enthusiast photographers. They are mainly in the fields of documentary and reportage photography because of the classic rangefinder style, portability and dials that enable intuitive operation.
The X-Pro3 has one of the most durable camera bodies thanks to the use of titanium for the exterior sections, which has outstanding strength to weight ratio. Two color variations will be available with additional Duratect™ surface-hardening technology for extra toughness and premium finish. The X-Pro3 uses the back illuminated 26.1MP “X-Trans CMOS 4” sensor and the “X-Processor 4” image processing engine, first seen in the FUJIFILM X-T3 and then the FUJIFILM X-T30, to ensure the right level of performance and image quality for a flagship model are met. Using this combination and new firmware, the phase-detection AF now works down to a luminance of -6EV, which is close to pitch darkness. The new “Advanced Hybrid Viewfinder,” uses a high resolution 3.69-million-dot organic EL panel, and has a high luminance and advanced color reproduction to assist photographers and improve the viewfinder experience. Also new is “CLASSIC Neg” Film Simulation, which simulates color negative film that was normally used for everyday snapshots.
- Main product features
- Advanced durability
- The exterior of the camera body is made of titanium, which gives the camera additional strength and corrosion resistance. The “Black” version combines titanium with premium quality coating giving it a sleek, elegant appearance. Also available are the “DR Black” and “DR Silver” versions, which have the surface hardening technology called Duratect applied to achieve a Vickers hardness rating up to 1500Hv to protect the camera from scratches while accentuating the look with a unique texture.
- The internal framework of the camera body is made from magnesium alloy. Weather sealing has been applied at 70 points to give the camera advanced dust and moisture resistance. The camera is also capable of operating in temperatures as low as -10℃, allowing users to be on location and not having to worry about the weather.
- Enhanced “Advanced Hybrid Viewfinder,”
- Users can switch between the optical viewfinder (OVF), which provides a constant view of your subject without any time lag, and the electronic viewfinder (EVF), which allows you to check exposure while you shoot.
- The EVF uses a 3.69-million-dot organic EL panel with advanced display performance. The organic EL panel boasts a high contrast ratio of over 1:5000 and the maximum luminance of 1500cd/m2 to display the finest details even in shadows and highlights. It also covers 97% of the sRGB color space, giving more accurate color reproduction.
- EVF display options in the “Boost” performance mode now includes “Smoothness priority” where a black frame is inserted between each of the frames at approx. 100fps to provide a smoother appearance with a minimal sense of residual images, giving an equivalent refresh rate of approx. 200fps. This option is recommended when you are taking pictures of fast moving subjects and need to track the erratic motion.
- The camera also features the “Electronic Range Finder” function, in which a small EVF window is displayed within the OVF to help checking electronic settings. The EVF window displays live view, enlargement of an AF point and pictures taken, improving the usefulness of the OVF.
- Maximum performance from fourth generation sensor and processor
- The X-Pro3 uses an improved algorithm to enable autofocus at the minimum luminance of -6EV, which is near pitch-darkness.
- The camera features a new HDR shooting function, which combines multiple continuously shot images of different exposure levels to expand the dynamic range. The tool, designed to recreate the vast dynamic range of light conditions that exist in nature, produces natural tones without causing exaggerated amplification of color tones.
- The X-Pro3 for the first time has an AF range limiter function, which has been available only on a limited number of lenses until now. You can select from two preset values or use the focus ring to specify any focus range. This gives the focus preset function available to all XF lenses.
- The camera handles multiple exposures of up to 9 frames in the Additive, Average, Comparative Bright or Comparative Dark mode to combine images taken from multiple viewpoints or at different times into a single image. You can apply different Film Simulation modes to each of the frames to create a multi-layered collage.
- Image quality produced from the understanding of color gained over 85 years in the industry
- “CLASSIC Neg” mode has been added to the Film Simulation function, which simulates color negative film traditionally chosen for everyday snapshots. The colors, precisely controlled for each level of brightness, create a rich chromatic contrast to add extra definition to the image.
- The Black & White adjustment function, originally introduced to the FUJIFILM X-T3 and FUJIFILM X-T30 to apply warm and cool tones to monochrome images, has been updated as the “Monochromatic Color” function. The X-Pro3 now allows you to choose the key color from a matrix of Warm / Cool tones and Magenta / Green hues, incorporating the rich gradation into your images to create photographs with a personal twist.
- “Clarity setting” has been included as an image quality parameter to complement the existing Highlight Tone, Shadow Tone and Sharpness. Texture and outlines of subject can be accentuated or softened while retaining gradation of colors to control the overall look of a picture.
- The Grain Effect function, which simulates the photographic film, has been evolved so that you can adjust “strength” and “size” to attain a more precise control over graininess, instead of having just two options of “strong” and “weak” graininess in previous models.
- Reproducing gradation is notoriously difficult for a subject with highly saturated colors. The “Color Chrome” effect, which reproduces deeper colors and greater tonal definition in such subjects, is now complemented with the “Color Chrome Blue” effect, applying extra depth and natural vividness to the blue tones in a picture.
- Superb handling in the pursuit of pure photography
- The 1.62-million-dot high-resolution tilting LCD touchscreen display, can flip approx. 180 degrees, allowing you to shoot from the hip, at ground level or with the camera above your head. The screen offers a wide angle of view and delivers high contrast yet natural color reproduction to provide a clear and high quality view.
- The rear 1.28-inch color Memory LCD, protected with toughened glass, displays shooting settings regardless if the camera is turned on or not. The screen can be set in the “Classic” mode which displays Film Simulation, white balance and other image settings reminiscent of film cameras, or in the “Standard” mode for displays shutter speed, ISO sensitivity, the number of remaining frames and other shooting settings in plain numbers and icons.
- The “Highlight Tone” and “Shadow Tone” options, have been integrated into the “Tonal Curve” setting so that you can intuitively adjust settings while checking the tonal curve.
- Compatibility with 3rd party software has been improved so they can now read ratings given to pictures using the “Rating” function.
- The X-Pro3 has a USB Type-C port (USB3.1 Gen1), to charge the camera’s battery and transfer data.
- The functionality of the “Q” quick menu has been improved. You can now choose the number of icons to be displayed in the menu from 16, 12, 8 or 4. “Transparent” has been added as a new background option, allowing you to change the settings but ensuring you won’t miss a photo opportunity.
- Optional accessories
- “BLC-XPRO3” leather case (for the X-Pro3)
- This genuine leather case elegantly shows off the X-Pro3’s classic design while protecting the camera body. The battery can be replaced while the case is attached to the camera.
- The case comes with a cloth to wrap the entire camera body when storing it in a bag.
- “MHG-XPRO3” hand grip (for the X-Pro3)
- This hand grip improves the handling of the camera, especially when using a heavier, large aperture lens. You can replace the battery or SD card without needing to remove the grip.
For more information on the X-Pro3, log on to www.fujifilm.com.my.