Sony announces Two New FE Super-Telephoto Lenses
New Super-Telephoto 600mm F4 G Master Prime Lens
Sony today announced another impressive addition to its flagship full-frame G Master series lens line-up, the new FE 600mm F4 GM OSS super-telephoto prime lens.
Sony’s longest reaching prime lens, the new 600mm includes many of the company’s most advanced optical and mechanical technologies, producing exceptional image quality with extraordinary focusing speed and precision. The lightest in its class, weighing in at only approx. 3040g, the FE 600mm F4 GM OSS features an extremely balanced design to ensure the best possible shooting experience. Along with the acclaimed FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS lens, the new 600mm gives professional sports, wildlife and news photographers more options for capturing subjects at great distances with extreme accuracy and detail.
“With two new lenses announced today, our growing E-mount lens line-up now includes 33 full-frame models and 51 lenses in total. The 10th model from our flagship G Master series, the new 600mm F4 raises the bar for speed, mobility and control in a super-telephoto prime lens,” said Dai Tanaka, Director, Digital Imaging Division, Sony Electronics Asia Pacific. “Combining the extensive 600mm reach with features like 20 fps shooting and AF/AE calculations at 60 times per second on the α9 or extremely high resolution, high speed performance on the α7R III allow professional photographers to create images that were simply not possible to capture before.”
Fast, Precise and Quiet Autofocus
To take best advantage of the highly evolved autofocus systems of Sony’s latest full-frame E-mount cameras, the new FE 600mm F4 GM OSS lens features two XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motors that drive the lens’ focus group to provide fast, precise AF and reliable subject tracking. These motors are supported by specially developed motion algorithms to minimise lag and instability, as well as to control noise levels, resulting in exceptionally quick, accurate and quiet autofocus performance, allowing the lens to capture dynamic, fast moving athletes or wildlife with ease.
Superb G Master Image Quality and Bokeh
As a member of Sony’s flagship G Master series lenses, this new large aperture super-telephoto prime lens features an incredible level of image quality and detail, with outstanding contrast and resolution maintained all the way to the corners of the image. The unique optical design includes a large XA (extreme aspherical) and an ED (extra-low dispersion) element that effectively suppress all common telephoto lens aberrations, plus three fluorite elements that help to minimise chromatic aberration and suppress any amount of colour bleeding. Sony’s latest bokeh simulation technologies and XA element are also utilised to control spherical aberration and help achieve exquisite bokeh.
The lens also features an 11-blade circular aperture mechanism that contributes to the high quality of bokeh in images and has been coated with Sony’s original Nano AR coating to suppress any unwanted reflections, glare, or ghosting in images.
The new FE 600mm F4 GM OSS is compatible with Sony’s 1.4x and 2.0x E-mount tele-converters, producing outstanding imaging performance at extended focal lengths while maintaining fast, precise AF performance.
Lightweight, Balanced Design
Weighing in at only approx. 3040g, the new super-telephoto prime lens is the lightest in its class1, providing a level of portability and maneuverability that has never been achieved before in a lens of its style. Based on technology from the acclaimed FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS lens, the lightweight design of the new 600mm lens is achieved through the usage of three fluorite elements, with a reduced number of elements deployed at the front of the barrel. Magnesium alloy is also used throughout the lens to help minimise weight and bulk.
Also inherited from FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS, the new 600mm lens features a lens design that is not front-heavy, reducing moment of inertia that resists rotation, ensuring quicker, more precise panning when shooting handheld or on a monopod.
Durability, Reliability and Control
To withstand the harsh conditions of sporting events and wildlife photography, Sony’s new FE 600mm F4 GM OSS is built with a durable magnesium alloy and a strong, lightweight carbon fibre hood. The lens is also dust and moisture resistant, and its front element is coated with fluorine to resist dirt and fingerprints.
There is also an ample number of hard controls on the lens, including customisable focus-hold buttons in four different locations on the lens barrel, which can be programmed for control of features, if desired. There is also a ‘Full-Time DMF’ switch to immediately engage manual focus at any point, and a focus ring that features Linear Response MF for fine, responsive manual focus.
Additionally, the new lens includes built-in optical stabilisation for dynamic action and three different ‘Mode’ settings, including a Mode 3 setting with an advanced algorithm that ensures easier framing when following moving subjects. It also features a function ring with selectable ‘Preset’ and ‘Function’ settings, and a drop-in filter slot that accepts ø 40.5mm ND and other filter types, as well as the optional VF-DCPL1 Drop-in Circular Polarising Filter. The VF-DCPL1 filter can be rotated to achieve the desired polarisation while installed in the lens.
New FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS Super-Telephoto Zoom Lens
Sony also announced another new lens for its expanding full-frame FE lens line-up; the new FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS super-telephoto zoom lens (model SEL200600G).
Sony’s furthest reaching E-mount zoom, the new G Lens™ series model utilises many of the company’s most advanced lens designing technologies to ensure excellent image quality, high-performance AF, and outstanding control. When paired with any of the latest, fastest E-mount camera bodies, it will reliably track and accurately capture all types of moving subjects including birds, wildlife, athletes in motion and much more.
“We will continue to innovate and expand upon our E-mount lens line-up, which now features 33 full-frame models and 51 lenses in total. The new 200-600mm super-telephoto zoom lens gives Sony’s camera users yet another powerful tool to realise their vision,” said Dai Tanaka, Director, Digital Imaging Division, Sony Electronics Asia Pacific. “For wildlife or bird photographers, sports photography enthusiasts and many others, it offers a new level of creative freedom, striking the ultimate balance between performance and portability.”
Key Features – New FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS super-telephoto zoom lens
- Extended reach with built-in stabilization
- Versatile tele-zoom range from 200mm telephoto to 600mm super-telephoto
- Compatible with Sony’s 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters, extending the reach to a maximum of 840mm at F9 or 1200mm at F13 with outstanding image quality and AF performance
- Built-in optical stabilisation with three different mode settings allows images to be sharp and in-focus at extended super-telephoto focal lengths
- High resolution and corner-to-corner sharpness throughout the entire zoom range
- Five ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements and an aspherical element, arranged in a new optical design that minimises chromatic aberration
- 11-blade circular aperture mechanism that ensures beautiful bokeh
- Coated with Sony’s original Nano AR coating to suppress any unwanted reflections, glare, or ghosting in images
- Fast, precise and quiet autofocus
- Equipped with Sony’s DDSSM (Direct Drive SSM) focusing system, which has the power and precision needed to drive the lens mechanism for remarkably fast, accurate focusing
- Advanced focus system allows exceptionally quiet operation, avoiding any unwanted noise that can disrupt an unpredictable subject like a resting bird or any other form of wildlife
- Internal zoom mechanism for reliable and stable handheld shooting
- Overall length of the lens does not change while zooming, maintaining consistent balance and distance between the front of the lens and desired shooting subject
- A fixed-length structure – internal zoom mechanism – is adopted to retain high resistance to dust and moisture2 to deal with difficult outdoor conditions
- Quick zoom operation with light zoom ring torque
- Refined control and reliability for use in the field
- Focus ring that features Linear Response MF for fine, responsive manual focus control
- Equipped with three customisable focus-hold buttons plus a Focus Range Limiter
- Dust and moisture resistant design and fluorine coating on the front element to resist dirt and fingerprints
Pricing and Availability
The FE 600mm F4 GM OSS and FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS will be available in Malaysia from July 2019.
For product specifications, please visit www.sony-asia.com.