BBC Player is Now Here in Malaysia
Malaysia (13 March 2017) — Telekom Malaysia Berhad’s (TM) award-winning IPTV service, HyppTV and BBC Worldwide today announced the official launch of BBC Player here in Malaysia. This latest offering will allow fans of BBC’s programmes, through an authenticated multi-genre Subscription Video-on-Demand (SVOD) service, to watch the very best of BBC content anytime, anywhere – via online, as well as via an app on their smartphones and tablets.
Available in Malaysia through HyppTV’s Jumbo Pack, viewers will have access to BBC First, BBC Brit, BBC Earth, BBC Lifestyle, CBeebies and BBC World News, including the latest series of Top Gear (S24), when it launches in March, available exclusively on BBC Player.
Top Gear is the world’s biggest motoring show that showcases fast cars executing thrilling stunts and challenges, all set in exotic locations. With a global audience estimated to be over 350 million, it is the Guinness Book of Record holder for being the most watched factual programme in the world. This March, Top Gear (S24) revs back to the small screen with Matt LeBlanc, Chris Harris and Rory Reid.
Jeremy Kung, Executive Vice President, New Media, TM commented: “As the largest IPTV service operator in the country, we remain committed in improving our service with the latest innovation and looking for ways to delight our viewers with more exciting offerings. Our latest partnership with BBC Worldwide to launch BBC Player allows us to super serve our viewers with high quality content from the BBC that they can watch anytime, anywhere, true to TM’s promise of ‘Life Made Easier’.”
Myleeta Aga, Senior Vice President and General Manager of South Asia and South East Asia, BBC Worldwide said: “We are excited that Malaysia is the second country in the world to launch BBC Player. We are confident that BBC Player will also be a hit in Malaysia. Malaysians recognise and appreciate the premium content from the BBC, and our channels which are all available on HyppTV, are already very popular. Now, with BBC Player, we will be able to give Malaysians even more ways to watch their favorite content – as we deliver BBC’s signature content seamlessly across our Malaysian customers’ devices, deepening their overall entertainment experience. Also, with a large fan base for Top Gear in Malaysia, we are delighted to premiere the latest Top Gear (S24) on BBC Brit, exclusively on the BBC Player.”
“HyppTV and BBC Worldwide have achieved many milestones together over the last few years. We believe that BBC Player has brought our partnership to another level,” she added.
The authenticated BBC Player app is available on Android and iOS. It is also available online on www.bbcplayer.com.
BBC brands and programmes on BBC Player
BBC First, was first launched on HyppTV in Malaysia in October 2016. It is the home to premium and original drama from the BBC and British independent production companies; with an array of titles that challenge, immerse and entertain, including some of the BBC’s most popular and unique dramas. Some of the BBC First programmes available include:
SS-GB – a gripping and intelligent series adapted from Len Deighton’s bestselling alternative history thriller. The drama is set in a United Kingdom conquered and occupied by Germany during the Second World War and stars Sam Riley (Control, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, On the Road) and Kate Bosworth (Still Alice, Superman Returns, Blue Crush) and written by Neil Purvis and Robert Wade, the screenwriters of Casino Royale, Quantum of Solace and Skyfall.
Love Nina – a comedy drama adapted by Nick Hornby (About a Boy, An Education) starring Helena Bonham Carter based on the bestselling novel of Nina Stibbe which won the 2014 National Book Awards ‘Popular Non-fiction Book of the Year’. The series is about Nina’s time as a nanny in the 1980s in North London who is eccentric, hilarious, tender, gossipy and full of 1980s period detail.
BBC Brit, the new genre brand launched in 2015 offers premium factual entertainment that is intelligent but irreverent, covering science, adventure, business, life-changing moments, extreme characters, quirky eccentrics, music, sport and comedy. Available exclusively on BBC Player, programmes on BBC Brit include:
Top Gear (S24) – the world’s largest motoring show is back for its latest series with Matt LeBlanc, Chris Harris and Rory Reid at the helm, with appearances from German race ace Sabine Schmitz, F1 supremo Eddie Jordan, and the international man of mystery referred to only as ‘The Stig’. In this new seven-part series, Top Gear’s presenters journey across wildest Kazakhstan in cars with half a million miles on the clock, tackle old-school motorsport in Cuba, blast through America’s wild west in the latest convertible supercars, and attempt to turn an ugly South Korean people-carrier into a luxury yacht to rival Monaco’s finest.
Special Forces Ultimate Hell Week (S2) which sees super fit men and women take on the challenge of their lives to discover who can survive and ultimately win. In this series, set in South Africa, competitors have to endure 12 days of physical and mental endurance, masterminded by former members of six of the world’s toughest special force.
BBC Earth showcases the work of the world’s foremost factual film makers as it takes audiences on a journey of discovery. BBC Player viewers will be privy to programmes like:
- David Attenborough’s Natural Curiosities – In this series, the naturalist, broadcaster and writer highlights some of nature’s evolutionary anomalies and how curious critters baffle and fascinate scientists.
- Steve Backshall’s Extreme River Challenge – Steve Backshall takes on the toughest challenge of his career: a complete descent of the Baliem. Along the journey, Steve infiltrates a notorious cannibal tribe, attempts to trap one of the world’s biggest saltwater crocodiles, and searches for the beautiful and elusive birds-of-paradise.
BBC Lifestyle provides a wealth of inspiration for home, family and life. Viewers can watch the following programmes on BBC Player:
- Rachel Khoo’s Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook – in which half-Malaysian TV chef, Rachel Khoo travels to some of the most beautiful foodie destinations in Europe and shows us how simple it is to capture a flavour of them in our own home kitchens.
- Kirstie’s Fill Your House For Free (S2) – Property and interiors guru Kirstie Allsopp shows cash-strapped homeowners how to furnish their rooms without breaking the bank. It’s all about upcycling and recycling – but the big rule is, things may be cheap but they must always look stylish.
CBeebies is specially created for pre-schoolers, offering a ‘learn through play’ environment where fun colours and friendly characters engage and captivate young minds, encouraging children to get involved. Two CBeebies programmes on BBC Player include:
- Go Jetters (S2) – Go Jetters follows the adventures of four plucky international heroes, Xuli, Kyan, Lars and Foz, as they travel the world with their teacher, mentor and friend, Ubercorn, a funky disco-grooving unicorn. Each episode offers older preschoolers a fun-filled and unique introduction to geography and their wider world.
- My Pet and Me – Celebrating all the joy that pets can bring, this series helps children appreciate what it really means to have a pet, highlighting the responsibility of caring for its needs while also showing what great fun they can have.
BBC World News, owned by BBC Global News Ltd, is the BBC’s award-winning 24 hour global news channel, offering world-class international news and feature programmes from an unrivalled network of journalists. BBC World News reports global breaking news whenever and wherever it happens and is the world’s most trusted international news outlet with journalists in more places than any other international news broadcaster. Programmes available on BBC Player include:
- HARDtalk – In-depth interviews with hard-hitting questions and sensitive topics being covered as famous personalities from all walks of life talk about the highs and lows in their lives.
- The Travel Show – The Travel Show draws on presenters based all around the globe to provide an insider’s view of the world’s most exciting destinations as well as all the latest tips and trends. Each show focuses on the current issues and trends that are influencing global travel choices, ranging from high-end trips to budget vacations.
Viewers can also stream and download these award-winning and highly rated BBC programmes to watch offline for up to 30 days.
HyppTV now offers its customers a total of 108 channels with 53 channels in High Definition (HD) – consisting of 49 premium channels, 26 free channels, 2 Radio channels, 9 Video-On-Demand (VOD) channels and 22 interactive channels in a wide variety of affordable packages or via ala-carte options. HyppTV customers will also enjoy the world class entertainment line-up on the move via HyppTV Everywhere or Hypp Play, a Video-On-Demand channel which offers a series of content available on HyppTV for binge watching.
For more info, visit www.tm.com.my/hypptv or check out our social media page at www.facebook.com/hypptv (Facebook), www.twitter.com/hyppworld (Twitter), and www.instagram.com/hypptv (Instagram) and www.youtube.com/tmyoutube (Youtube).
Gadgets, Photography, Automobile, Lifestyle