Extraordinary Engineering for the Essential Lens in Every Professional Photographer’s Bag
Malaysia (1 November 2016) — The AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR, a next-generation fast zoom lens compatible with Nikon FX-format DSLR that offers a consistently fast maximum aperture of f/2.8 throughout its entire zoom range, was introduced by Nikon (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd recently.
“The AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR is designed for the convenience of the professionals, yet without compromising on a paramount optical performance that it is expected to deliver. The new 70-200mm, a must-have lens for many, now brings a Vibration Reduction system of up to 4.0 stops and a SPORT mode, improved autofocus tracking performance, as well as an electromagnetic aperture mechanism for auto exposure accuracy, and these are just the tip of the iceberg.” said Atsushi Suzuki, General Manager of International Marketing Division Imaging Group, Nikon Singapore Pte. Ltd.
Providing photographers with a state-of-the-art lens that supports shooting in diverse environments, the new NIKKOR lens has a structure and build that is approximately 110g lighter than its predecessor while also being equipped with anti-dust and water droplets-resistant capabilities. Furthermore, Nikon’s exclusive fluorine coat applied to the extreme front of the lens provides high antifouling performance and peel-resistant properties.
The AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR supports even better resolution throughout the entire zoom range than the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, which is well-known for its superior resolution, and yet still consistently maintains that resolution all the way to the edges of the frame. The adoption of one fluorite, one high refractive index (HRI), and six Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) lens elements provides effective compensation for a variety of aberration. The combination of the lens elements, together with Nano Crystal Coat, ensures the ultimate in rendering characteristics of minimised ghosting and flare. Complementing the optical performance is the support for a fast f/2.8 maximum aperture throughout the entire 70-200mm zoom range that further enables a shallow depth of field and smooth bokeh effect.
The Vibration Reduction (VR) function ensures a stable viewfinder image that makes it easy to track erratically moving subjects. In NORMAL mode, the function provides an effect equivalent to a shutter speed of 4.0 stops*1 faster. With SPORT mode, the VR maintains focus on rapidly moving subjects, even with high-speed continuous shooting. VR performance immediately after the power is turned on has also been greatly improved. This is seen through a stable viewfinder image that is instantly enabled with half-pressing of the shutter release button right after the power turn-on, and image results with minimised blur-reduction effect when the shutter is released. Autofocus (AF) tracking performance for subjects with unpredictable movement has also been increased, while the adoption of an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism enables consistently stable exposure control, even with high-speed continuous shooting.
In comparison with the current AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, reduction of the minimum focus distance and increase in the maximum reproduction ratio enable photographic expression similar to close-up shooting. Moreover, the hold on the lens with shooting has been improved, and superior operation has been achieved with consideration of the finest details, including adoption of four focus function buttons, and a tripod collar ring that enables quick and smooth switching between horizontal and vertical shooting orientations.
AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Primary Features
- Adoption of fluorite and HRI lens elements, as well as magnesium-alloy parts ensure superior agility with a lighter weight
- Thorough adoption of anti-dust and water droplets-resistant structure in which all moving parts of the lens barrel are sealed against dust and water droplets
- Nikon’s exclusive fluorine coat has been applied to the external surface of the front lens element. This highly durable fluorine coat effectively repels dust, water droplets, grease, and dirt, and has superior anti-reflection characteristics that contribute to the capture of clear images
- Consistently superior resolution, all the way to the edges of the frame, throughout the entire zoom range.
- Compared to the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, minimum focus distance throughout the entire zoom range is reduced from 1.4m to 1.1m, and maximum reproduction ratio is increased from 0.11× to 0.21×
- Nano Crystal Coat adopted for its superior anti-reflection effects and effective reduction of ghost and flare for sharp, clear images
- Vibration Reduction (VR) function optimized for sports photography with built-in SPORT mode, which is also effective with movie recording. This enables comfortable high-speed continuous shooting with no drop in frame rate or increase in release time lag
- In NORMAL mode, the VR function provides an effect equivalent to a shutter speed 4.0 stops*1 With the employment of a newly developed algorithm, barrel vibration transmitted to the hands and sound caused when the AF drive starts/stops are remarkably reduced and suppressed
- AF tracking performance for the subjects with unpredictable movement, including those whose speed of movement changes and those who move quickly toward the camera, has been increased
- Adoption of an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism enables stable exposure control, even with high-speed continuous shooting
- Positioning of the zoom ring near the front of the lens and the focus ring closer to the mount ensures a better hold with shooting
- Four focus function buttons that enable quick and certain focusing are positioned so that they are readily accessible regardless of shooting orientation (horizontal or vertical)
- Extremely durable bearings adopted for the tripod collar ring, enabling quick and smooth switching between horizontal and vertical shooting orientations
1* Based on CIPA standards; when attached to DSLR cameras equipped with a full-size image sensor. Measured at the maximum telephoto position.
For more information on the new AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR, and other Nikon products, please visit www.nikon.com.my.