Synology Unveils DiskStation Manager 5.0 Beta
Taipei, Taiwan (23 January 2014)—Synology® today announced the beta availability of DiskStation Manager (DSM) 5.0, which delivers:
- Refreshed user interface and effortless access to NAS with Synology QuickConnect
- 1PB unified storage platform harnessed by enterprise-level reliability and manageability
- Hybrid cloud solutions with immense connectivity
- Robust data backup and system performance
- Seamless file access and optimized multimedia enjoyment
“We are excited to introduce DSM 5.0 beta, the company’s most significant release to date,” said Vic Hsu, CEO at Synology Inc. “DSM 5.0 aims to transform how business and home users host their cloud and equip them with boundless connectivity.”
Every corner of the DSM 5.0 interface is redesigned with simplicity in mind and optimized to take full advantage of ultra HD and Retina® display. The main menu and widgets are revamped to provide easy access to the features users look for. Synology QuickConnect service now supports most packages, mobile applications, and even DSM to allow users to host and access their NAS servers effortlessly.
DSM 5.0 introduces Central Management System (Synology CMS) to boost the efficiency in managing a massive number of NAS servers. Synology CMS provides global resources monitor, remote server setup and update, and group policy editor for hundreds of NAS servers, all from a single portal and management interface. Additionally, Synology scale-out clustering solution is now available, enabling businesses to develop a more dynamic enterprise with scalable computing power and storage. Users can now grow their NAS array to up to 1 PB of raw capacity in one single storage pool, which provides data protection and single namespace that can be easily accessed through CIFS protocol.
The all-new Cloud Sync package allows users to establish a safety net for their digital assets by synchronizing Dropbox, Google DriveTM and Baidu Cloud with Synology NAS. In addition, DSM 5.0 brings forth two-way synchronization through Cloud Station to share data between two Synology NAS servers, unveiling endless possibilities for data backup and work collaboration. Moreover, PC and mobile devices can now synchronize with multiple Synology NAS servers, and the provision of read-only mode allows uni-directional replication from NAS servers to clients.
Synology Snapshot Manager provides application-consistent snapshot to guarantee data integrity in VMware® vSphereTM or Windows® environment. In addition, DSM 5.0 now supports multiple backup versions by integrating block-level incremental backup technologies, greatly saving space and time when backing up. DSM 5.0 is also optimized to accommodate the ever increasing data throughput. iSCSI random read performance is enhanced by up to six times, while applications running on DSM become more responsive by compressing the least recently used data in memory. Furthermore, by offering full SSD cache reading and writing support, DSM 5.0 delivers significant reduction in I/O latency.
Browsing files on-the-go is easier than ever with the revamped DS file, featuring thumbnail view, file compression/extraction on-the-fly, and file and folder sharing links. Managing and viewing photo collections are more intuitive with the introduction of tree view of albums in Photo Station. AndroidTM users can now stream photos to big screen via Apple TV. Video watching experience is optimized with the option to save videos for offline viewing in DS video. Windows Phone 8 users can now easily manage download tasks with DS download.
Please visit www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/dsm5_0_beta for more details.
Synology DSM 5.0 Beta Reward Program
Synology will hand out a DS214play to three beta testers who provide the most valuable assistance and feedback. Please visit www.synology.com/en-global/support/beta_program for more details.
DSM 5.0 beta and the new packages are available at http://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/dsm5_0_beta
Visit the live demo site at www.synology.com/products/dsm_livedemo to try out new features.
Synology DSM 5.0 beta is free to download for users who own a DiskStation or RackStation x10 series and onward. Supported models include:
- 14-series: RS3614xs+, RS2414+, RS2414RP+, RS814+, RS814RP+, DS214+, DS214play, RS814, DS214, RS214, DS414, DS114, DS214se
- 13-series: RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS713+, DS413, DS413j, DS213+, DS213, DS213air, DS213j
- 12-series: RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, RS812+, RS812RP+, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, RS812, RS212, DS3612xs, DS1812+, DS1512+, DS712+, DS412+, DS212+, DS212, DS212j, DS112+, DS112, DS112j
- 11-series: RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, RS2211+, RS2211RP+, RS411, DS3611xs, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS411, DS411j, DS411slim, DS211+, DS211, DS211j, DS111
- 10-series: RS810+, RS810RP+, DS1010+, DS410, DS410j, DS710+, DS210+, DS210j, DS110+, DS110j