DiGi Empowers Businesses with M2M Platform
SHAH ALAM (19 November 2013) – DiGi Telecommunications Sdn Bhd (“DiGi”) today launched its latest machine-to-machine (M2M) platform to empower businesses with advanced connected service capabilities that will enable companies from various industries to benefit from better cost savings, improve efficiencies and new revenue streams.
With these new functionalities, customers now have real-time access to the new M2M platform, and freedom to control and manage their devices, applications and network. The platform connects machines and devices wirelessly to the internet, turning them into intelligent assets that open up possibilities for how businesses are run. The M2M SIM cards which are integrated into devices as a sensor receives and transmits data to a central server connection at any time via the M2M service platform. These connected machines are monitored in real-time with software that records all performances and operational data, allowing an immediate overview and analysis of the machine or device’s operating status. If an error occurs, the system automatically sends out an alarm to the respective departments so that immediate action can be taken.
Speaking at the launch DiGi’s Chief Marketing Officer Albern Murty said, “Our new M2M platform enables businesses to perform better and makes the world smarter. When machines communicate, people get better at what they do and this translates to improve efficiencies and growth for the business. The new capability empowers our customers to realise the true potential of machine-to-machine for better user experience.”
DiGi’s new web-based M2M portal and solutions will enable customers to benefit from:
- Having complete control of their connected devices. The service portal offers a wide range of tools such as SIM-Management, Real-time Traffic Surveillance and Alert Functions, Statistics and Diagnostics, as well as Billing and Support. The Application Programming Interface (API) allows businesses to fully integrate into the M2M platform.
- Saving time and money by optimising business processes with features such as remote monitoring that enables problems to be fixed before they have an impact on customers, accurate information delivered in real time enabling quicker decision making or less machine down time, and asset tracking enabling status monitoring and inventory in addition to theft prevention.
- Providing fail-over mechanisms, alarm triggers and redundancy, and end-to-end encryption (from terminal to back-end systems) optimised for M2M applications, without costly overhead communication.
- Wireless network connectivity and application software on the dedicated M2M platform which is built for large-scale international deployments, giving businesses tools to operate value-added, reliable and secure connected services. The M2M service is also hosted in a cloud-based environment enabling scalability and redundancy for future needs.
- New and incremental revenue possibilities. The end-to-end security solution (eSEC managed service solution) for example features enhanced security and safety capability enabling content, applications, payments and other services to be managed securely. The M2M solution also allows for new ways of capturing and sharing information resulting in the introduction of new service offering to enhance business potential.
- Improving customer service by engaging them through on-going communication to better understand needs and possibly develop additional value added services. Collection of data from assets can be used to provide proactive service calls and accurate billing, for example.
- Creating a sustainable business eco-system. The M2M solution can also help increase manufacturing process improvement, support predictive maintenance and optimise order fulfilment for improved efficiencies and ultimately reduce energy use and carbon emission. For example, it allows businesses to leverage on real-time data to optimise air conditioning, lighting and building functions resulting in reduction of energy use.
Albern added, “Connected services open up a world of possibilities. For businesses in the logistics and transport sector, packages are now able to communicate their location, allowing real-time parcel tracking. The same M2M application allows public to have real-time updates on the estimated time of arrival for their train or bus. In retail, M2M provides better point-of-sale data, and improves shopping experiences through location-based services. For the healthcare industry, M2M devices worn by patients enable real-time monitoring of important medical information or dispensing of medication. These are just a few examples. Machines can now be set to act independently and feed real-time data to businesses, and by doing so empower companies with greater insights into their operations for better efficiencies and new revenue streams.”
Customers who subscribe to DiGi’s M2M service will automatically be upgraded to this new platform and enjoy all the capabilities that come with it for free. Interested businesses can contact [email protected]